In March 2019, BIGGA became a signatory of the Women in Golf Charter, pledging to promote greenkeeping as an accessible career choice for anyone and everyone.
Signing up to the Women in Golf Charter evidences BIGGA's commitment to encouraging all employers within the golf industry to consider the right person for the greenkeeping position offered, regardless of gender and to develop a culture that values women's involvement in pursuing a career as a greenkeeper.
BIGGA applies the same culture towards employing the right person within the association, with over 50% of the management team being female.
Additionally, BIGGA commits to:
- Continue to grow the network of support for women working as greenkeepers
- Showcase female greenkeepers as role models throughout every aspect of greenkeeping
- Recommend to golf clubs, who choose to advertise their job vacancies with BIGGA, to use gender-neutral terminology where appropriate.
- Utilise BIGGA's influence in the turfcare industry to promote greenkeeping as an accessible career choice for everyone.
The R&A's Women in Golf Charter is part of a global drive to increase the number of women and girls participating in golf and to encourage more opportunities for women to work within the golf industry.
BIGGA is pleased to have already achieved the following:
- Created a Women in Turfcare programme to assist current female greenkeepers and encourage more female greenkeepers into the industry
- Organised Women in Turfcare networking sessions, which offer the opportunity to meet each other and guidance on getting the best out of the BTME experience
- Ensured women greenkeepers can take a leading role in volunteer teams for key international events
- Promoted success stories and case studies via Greenkeeper International and reproduced those in a stand-alone A4 booklet called Women in Turfcare.
BIGGA is extremely proud that a growing number of our team have graduated from The R&A's Women in Golf Leadership Development Programme.
Women in Golf Leadership Development Programme
- Sami Strutt, chief operating officer
- Lauren Frazer, head of business development
Women in Golf Leadership Foundation Programme
- Deb Burnett, Learning and Development Executive
- Fiona Lyttle, Learning and Development Executive - The GTC
Find out more about the Women in Golf Leadership Development Programme here.
More about women in golf
- Our People
- BIGGA Regions
- Our Business Affiliates
History of Greenkeepers' Associations
- About the author
- Introduction (Pre-1912)
- 1912 - 1919
- 1920 - 1929
- 1930 - 1939
- 1940 - 1949
- 1950 - 1959
- 1960 - 1969
- 1970 - 1979
- 1980 - 1987
- EIGGA 1983 - 1986
- Greenkeeper Education and Training
- Greenkeeping Families
- Greenkeepers' Associations and Golf
- BIGGA National Tournament
- Publications for Greenkeepers' Associations
- Association Officials
- Greenkeeping Acronyms
- Ecology Bulletin
- Greenkeeper International
- GreenCast Weather Forecast
- Sustainable Golf
- History of Greenkeepers' Associations
- Affiliated Associations
- Women in Golf Charter