Continuing Professional Development
WHAT IS CPD?
CPD is about YOU. It enables you to do many things:
- Update your skills and knowledge
- Boost your confidence
- Strengthen your professional credibility
- Ensures your employer has a competent and well-motivated employee
CPD is a strategy to help you succeed and go on succeeding.
By committing to CPD it identifies you as a competent professional and BIGGA’s CPD Programme provides you with a way to recognise your commitment.
The BIGGA CPD Programme has several benefits to you and your employers:
Benefits for the individual:
- Opportunities for career advancement
- Personal development
- Engagement with the wider industry
- Quality standard
- Adapt outdated skills
- In touch with changes in legislation
Benefits for the Employer:
- Professional staff
- Confidence in staff ability
- Updated and informed staff
- Motivated team
- Valued team
All Full, Associate and International members are eligible to join the CPD programme.
All members now have their own CPD account. To access it, log into the website, click on the Continuing Professional Development button, then click the button: Visit CPD website and begin claiming your credits. On the Continuing Professional Development page there are downloadable documents that will guide you through the programme and show you how to use the CPD online recording software.
Details of the BIGGA CPD Programme are detailed below:
1. From 1st July 2013, the BIGGA CPD Programme changed from an annual one-year cycle to a rolling three-year programme.
Moving to a three-year programme and expanding the activities that you can claim credits for will ensure you have greater flexibility and a more enjoyable and achievable BIGGA CPD Programme.
2. Your membership number will now be used instead of your CPD number.
Your membership number is unique to you and will help us to identify you.
3. The credit value is 1 credit per hour for formal education events.
This will make understanding credit values easier.
4. Your CPD activity will be recognised by the introduction of two levels:
BIGGA CPD Active Member
When you register and start your education you will be a BIGGA CPD Active Member.
BIGGA CPD Approved Member
Once you have achieved 60 credits, within your three-year, programme, you will be a BIGGA CPD Approved Member. Any credits you gain over 60 will be carried over into the next three-year programme.
To maintain your Approved status you must continue to gain a minimum of 60 CPD credits within your next three-year period
5. You will be recognised with a BIGGA CPD Approved certificate which you can print and access through your CPD account, you will be acknowledged in Greenkeeper International and on the BIGGA website in the Members Area.
6. All BIGGA CPD credits will be recorded in your Lifetime Transcript, (This is a list of all the CPD you have carried out, since registering on the CPD programme).
7. Milestones will be recognised and awarded for achieving 180 credits and at increments of 180 credits thereafter.