Entries for the 2021 awards are now closed.
What’s it all about?
Being part of the Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year Awards allows you to meet and compete with the best greenkeeping students in the UK.
Those invited to interview will be tested on their knowledge, not only of greenkeeping tasks, skills and heath and safety, but it also incorporates understanding of the job role; personal development; industry awareness; the Toro company; BIGGA and career aspirations.
The highly coveted Awards will enable you to drive your ambition for a successful career in the greenkeeping industry.
Put yourself in the position to succeed by applying for the Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year Awards.
Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year Award available to all greenkeeping students studying for eligible qualifications
Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year Award specifically for greenkeeping students aged 21 years and under at the time of the closing date.
- Greenkeeping students can nominate themselves for the Awards
- College tutor, assessor or employer can endorse applications
- Online application process
Student of the Year Frequently Asked Questions
- Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year winner will receive: The Toro Scholarship including a six-week residential turf management study course at the University of Massachusetts, a trip to the Golf Industry Show and a visit to the Toro factory.
- Endorser of the Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year will receive: A trip to the Golf Industry Show in the USA, including flights, hotel, education and show accreditation
- Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year runner up will receive: A trip to Continue to Learn at BTME including four days of education, five nights hotel accommodation, travel and £125 expenses, plus a Toro Training voucher
- Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year Award winner will receive: A two week work placement at the exclusive Vidauban Golf Club in the South of France, plus a trip to Continue to Learn at BTME for a five night package including hotel, four days of education, travel and £125 expenses, plus a gift voucher for Toro Training
- Endorser of the Young Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year will receive: A trip to Vidauban Golf Club for the last two days of their student's placement, including flights and hotel
- Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year runner up will receive: A trip to Continue to Learn at BTME - three night package including hotel, education, travel and £75 expenses plus a gift voucher for Toro training
Any greenkeeping student who is undertaking one of the listed qualifications (at the time of application):
• Level 2 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 2 Sports Turf / Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
• Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
• Level 3 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 3 Sports Turf Management
• Level 2 Diploma / National Certificate (NC)
• Level 3 Subsidary Diploma (SD)
1. Complete the online application form using the button on the right hand side of the web page
2. Attch a passport style photograph to the student application form
3. Provide the name of the individual who will endorse your application
Who can endorse your application?
- College tutor
- College assessor
- Head Greenkeeper / Course Manager
- Golf Club Manager
1. Applications are welcomed from all student greenkeeper candidates actively working towards their qualification at the time of application. Eligible qualifications are:
· Level 2 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 2 Sports Turf
• Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
· Level 3 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 3 Sports Turf Management
· Level 2 Diploma / National Certificate (NC)
· Level 3 Subsidary Diploma (SD)
2. All applications must be made through the online application facility
3. All applicants must provide contact details of their nominated person endorsing their application
4. Applicants must be student greenkeepers either working as, or intending to work as, a golf greenkeeper
5. Applicants must be employed or resident in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland
6. If you are 21 years or younger at the time of the closing date, you may be considered for the Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year
7. Any applicant who was a national finalist in the Toro Student Greenkeeper or Young Greenkeeper of the Year Award 2019 may not be eligible to enter the 2021 Awards
8. Any applicant who has entered the award for two consecutive years and has not been selected for the national final is not eligible to enter the 2021 Awards
9. The deadline for entries is Friday 28 May 2021, anyone who applied for the postponed 2020 will be put forward for the 2021 awards
10. Each application will be judged on its own merits, regardless of membership status, position or place of work. All candidates have an equal chance of success
11. A shortlist will be drawn up and those applicants will be invited to attend an interview which will be held held 5-9 July 2021 and 12-16 July 2021. Regional interviews will not take place outside of these dates so please ensure you will be available.
12. Applicants invited to attend a local interview will receive a £30 contribution from the sponsors towards travel expenses
13. Applicants invited to attend a local interview will receive a memento from the sponsors at the interview
14. Selected finalists will be invited to attend the national final to be held 6-7 September 2021, with all expenses met by the sponsors
15. One winner and one runner-up will be selected for each of the Toro Student Greenkeeper Awards
The data collected from your application form will be used for administrating the current awards. Your details and information will be viewed by the event organisers and sponsors: BIGGA, Reesink Turfcare and The Toro Company.
Your name and photograph will be published online and in promotional materials if you are a finalist in the awards and if you are the winner or runner up.
If you did not make it to the finals, your data will will be disposed of after six months.
When applying, please provide the name of the individual who will endorse your application, attach a passport style photograph of yourself to the application form. If you have any queries contact Deb Burnett by telephone on 01347 666 580 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application can be endorsed by your college tutor, college assessor, head greenkeeper/course manager or golf club manager.
- Continue to Learn
- Future Turf Managers Initiative (FTMI)
- Continuing Professional Development
- Master Greenkeeper Certificate
- Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year
- Greenkeepers Training Committee
- Volunteering - How to get involved