Being part of the Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year Awards allows ambitious BIGGA members to meet and compete with the best greenkeeping students in the UK.
Those invited to interview will be tested on their knowledge, not only of greenkeeping tasks, skills and health and safety, but also an understanding of the job role, personal development, wider industry awareness, Toro and BIGGA and their career aspirations.
The highly coveted awards enables greenkeeping students to drive their ambition for a successful career in the sportsturf industry.
The finals of the awards will take place this September at Goodwood, with applications opening for the 2023 awards early next year.
The Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year Award is available to all greenkeeping students who are studying towards the eligible qualifications (details below)
The Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year Award is for greenkeeping students aged 21 years and under at the time of application.
- Greenkeeping students can nominate themselves for the awards
- College tutor, assessor or employer can endorse applications
- Entirely online and free-to-enter application process
More Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year News
- The Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year winner will receive:
- enrolment in an internationally recognised 10-week turf management remote study course, The Winter Turf School (University of Massachusetts)
- a two-week expenses-paid work placement at Adare Manor (Ireland), venue of The 2027 Ryder Cup
- an all expenses paid trip to the GCSAA Conference & Show (USA)
- a visit to Toro Corporate HQ, R&D Centre and Equipment Operations in Minnesota and Wisconsin
- The endorser of the Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year will receive: a trip to the GCSAA Conference & Show in the USA, including flights, hotel, education and show accreditation
- The Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year runner up will receive: a trip to Continue to Learn at BTME including four days of education, five nights' hotel accommodation, travel and £125 expenses, plus a Toro training voucher
- Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year Award winner will receive:
- A two week work placement at the exclusive Vidauban Golf Club in the South of France
- A trip to Continue to Learn at BTME for a five night package including hotel, four days of education, travel and £125 expenses
- A gift voucher for Toro Training
- Endorser of the Young Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year will receive: A trip to Vidauban Golf Club for the last two days of their student's placement, including flights and hotel
- Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year runner up will receive: A trip to Continue to Learn at BTME - three night package including hotel, education, travel and £75 expenses plus a gift voucher for Toro training
Any greenkeeping student who is undertaking one of the listed qualifications (at the time of application):
• Level 2 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 2 Sports Turf / Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
• Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
• Level 3 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 3 Sports Turf Management
• Level 2 Diploma / National Certificate (NC)
• Level 3 Subsidary Diploma (SD)
1. Complete the online application form using the button on the right hand side of this web page.
2. Attach a passport style photograph to the student application form
3. Provide the name of the individual who will endorse your application
Who can endorse your application?
- Your college tutor
- Your college assessor
- Your head greenkeeper/course manager
- Your golf club manager
When applying, please provide the name of the individual who will endorse your application, attach a passport style photograph of yourself to the application form. If you have any queries contact Deb Burnett by telephone on 01347 666 580 or email [email protected]
Your application can be endorsed by your college tutor, college assessor, head greenkeeper/course manager or golf club manager.
1. Applications are welcomed from all student greenkeeper candidates actively working towards their qualification at the time of application. Eligible qualifications are:
· Level 2 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 2 Sports Turf
• Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
· Level 3 Work-based Diploma - Greenkeeper / SVQ Level 3 Sports Turf Management
· Level 2 Diploma/National Certificate (NC)
· Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma (SD)
2. All applications must be made through the online application facility.
3. All applicants must provide contact details of their nominated person endorsing their application.
4. Applicants must be student greenkeepers working as a golf greenkeeper.
5. Applicants must be employed or resident in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland.
6. If you are 21 years or younger at the time of the closing date, you will be considered for the Toro Young Student Greenkeeper of the Year.
7. Any applicant who was a national finalist in the Toro Student Greenkeeper or Young Greenkeeper of the Year Award 2021 may not be eligible to enter the 2022 Awards.
8. Any applicant who has entered the award for two consecutive years and has not been selected for the national final is not eligible to enter the 2022 Awards.
9. The deadline for entries is 31 May 2022.
10. Each application will be judged on its own merits, regardless of membership status, position or place of work. All candidates have an equal chance of success.
11. A shortlist will be drawn up and those applicants will be invited to attend an interview which will be held held in July 2022. Regional interviews will not take place outside of these dates so please ensure you will be available.
12. Applicants invited to attend a local interview will receive a £30 contribution from the sponsors towards travel expenses., However, interviews may take place online.
13. Applicants invited to attend a local or online interview will receive a memento from the sponsors at the interview.
14. Selected finalists will be invited to attend the national final to be held at Goodwood in Sussex in September 2022, with all expenses met by the sponsors.
15. One winner and one runner-up will be selected for each of the Toro Student Greenkeeper Awards.
The data collected from your application form will be used for administrating the current awards. Your details and information will be viewed by the event organisers and sponsors: BIGGA, Reesink Turfcare and The Toro Company.
Your name and photograph will be published online and in promotional materials if you are a finalist in the awards and if you are the winner or runner up.
If you did not make it to the finals, your data will will be disposed of after six months.
- Continue to Learn
- BIGGA Delegation sponsored by Bernhard
- Future Turf Managers Initiative (FTMI)
- Toro Student Greenkeeper of the Year
- Continuing Professional Development
- Master Greenkeeper Certificate
- Greenkeepers Training Committee
- Volunteering - How to get involved