Slip! Slap! Swing! Campaign 2020.pdf
The Slip! Slap! Swing! sun protection campaign for golf launched last year, and is back on the 15th June with a new challenge. The Melanoma Fund – the charity behind the campaign – aims to get 500 golf clubs in the UK and Ireland ‘Sun Protection Accredited’ in 2020.
Supported by 11 leading golf organisations, their mission will be to transform sun protection in golf to tackle the rapid rise of melanoma and other forms of skin cancer within the sport.
Rates of melanoma - the most dangerous form of skin cancer - have more than doubled in the UK in the last 30 years, with incidence in women having doubled (100% increase) and for men nearly tripled (181%). It is one of our fastest rising cancers, and although still higher in older people, rates in 25-49 year olds increased by 70% over the same period*. Global cases will reach nearly half a million (466,914) by 2040, an increase of 62% on 2018 figures.
Skin cancer is however preventable, and by becoming Sun Protection Accredited, clubs can help members and all staff improve their sun protection habits and knowledge. Supported with free resources and up-to-date advice, involvement is quick, easy and achieved by pledging five actions:
- Nominate a Sun Pro Ambassador; promoting the campaign to members/staff.
- Add a sun protection statement to Terms & Conditions of play/Health & Safety policy.
- Display awareness posters and promote the campaign internally, and externally on socials.
- Ensure sunscreen is available in the club, either for sale or for complimentary use.
- Display the Sun Protection Accreditation logo – both digitally and in the club
For further information visit the Melanoma Fund’s Slip! Slap! Swing! campaign at www.melanoma-fund.co.uk/golf