Remuneration: A package commensurate with experience and in line with a World Top 20 golf course will be offered. (Bonus scheme, training opportunities, excellent pension fund, staff golfing rights, subsidised meals).
North Berwick Golf Club is one of the longest established golf courses in the world and golf has been played over the West Links since the 17th century. A long standing championship venue, North Berwick has hosted The Open - Final Qualifying and many other prestigious and international Championships. We are also scheduled to host final qualifying for the AIG Women’s Open at Muirfield in 2022.
We are embarking on an exciting new era at North Berwick which will include a brand new workshop with new hydraulic lifts and grinders. A full fleet of Toro machinery is due for delivery early next year including top of the range electric 3370 models. Full training on electric diagnostics will be provided to the successful candidate.
The Turf mechanic will support the Course Manager in ensuring the maintenance of the fleet of machines for its 18 hole links course, 9 hole wee course and driving range.
They will be responsible for carrying out routine maintenance and servicing on all course machinery. They should have a proven track record in the use of grinding units and setting equipment to provide the best possible performance based on the terrain of the course. There will also be a requirement to carry out greenkeeping duties as determined by the Course Manager.
- Maintaining all of the golf club machinery ensuring routine maintenance for the fleet is carefully planned and carried out to manufactures specifications and guidelines.
- Experience of operating welding equipment and griding units.
- Compliance with all health and safety procedures.
- An understanding of and be competent in the use of modern golf machinery.
- Mowing of turf (fairway, surrounds, greens, and rough) using tractors, ride-on machines and specialist hand mowers.
- Treating turf to ensure consistent playing surfaces.
- Setting up the golf course each day for play including the layout of the course e.g. tee marker placement, and cutting of new hole location.
- Using environmentally friendly treatments to control weeds, fungal diseases and pests when instructed to do so by supervisors or management.
- Use of mechanically propelled vehicles such as tractors, top dressers, utility vehicles and sprayers.
- Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and others.
- Complete any training that is organised by the Club.
- Renovating and maintaining bunkers and other hazards such as water features.
- All other greenkeeping related duties and any tasks requested by the Course Manager.
Personal Specifications and Qualities:
- Knowledge of the uses and operating methods of the equipment and tools used in golf course maintenance.
- Knowledge of the methods used in the care and maintenance of golf courses.
- Knowledge of the care and maintenance of grass greens.
- Knowledge of turf diseases and the methods and chemicals used to control them.
- Ability to keep records.
- Ability to problem solve and identify solutions.
- Possess good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
Knowledge and Experience required:
- Proven track record in turf mechanics.
- Experience of working on a golf course of similar standing
- Experience of prioritising work effectively, managing stock, maintaining accurate records of machinery repair / service and working to an approved budget.
- Proven ability in preparing and implementing a program of routine maintenance for a large fleet of machinery and equipment to the manufacturer’s specification and guidelines.
- A good understanding of and be competent in the use of modern golf course machinery.
- Be able to complete a wide range of greenkeeping duties as required.
- Experience of working within a Links golf course environment.
- Experience of servicing course machinery.
- Experience of grinding units.
- Must hold full UK driving license.
If you wish to apply, please send your CV and covering letter (include current salary), detailing the attributes and qualities that make you the ideal candidate for the role to;