The role of the Greenkeeper / Mechanic is to assist the Course Manager and Deputy Greenkeeper with the maintenance and management of the golf course. This is a new role created to reflect the change in direction the golf course will take over the next few years. To start this will be a dual role of day-to-day mechanics and regular golf course duties as our current facilities do not merit a full-time mechanic. When we move into our new maintenance facility in a few years this will move to a full-time mechanic role.
- To be responsible for routine golf course maintenance tasks, operate golf course equipment and to assist with all duties and tasks associated in the maintenance of the golf course
- To perform daily safety inspections on all equipment and plant including sprayers to ensure equipment is maintained to a very high standard and is always in perfect working order and to report faults to the Course Manager.
- Assemble, maintain, and repair machinery and vehicles ensuring functionality and reliability of machines, engines and mechanical systems
- Troubleshoot reported problems and resolve them in a timely manner
- Perform thorough maintenance on machinery, equipment and systems
- Provide consultation on correct maintenance and preventative measures to machine or vehicle users
- Keep logs of work and report on issue
- To carry out all maintenance tasks on the golf course to the highest possible standards
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a qualified and experienced Greenkeeper with proven knowledge of the maintenance of golf courses.
- Excellent knowledge of machinery and hydraulic, electrical and other systems and their components
- Must be self-motivated, possess strong leadership skills, and be professional in appearance and actions
- Aptitude in using various hand tools and precision measurement workshop tools, including grinders, welders, abrasive wheels, lifts, and hoists
- Must be detail oriented, well organised with strong communication skills and ability to multi-task
- A strong commitment and understanding of all health and safety guidelines
- City and Guilds / NVQ Level 2 qualification or equivalent
- A full driving licence is required
- Up to date with the latest developments within the industry by attending regular seminars and actively showing an interest in your profession. (BIGGA)
- CPD active
- City and Guilds or NVQ Level 3 qualification or equivalent
- Health and Safety management
- Plays golf and has good understanding of course set up
- Chainsaw and Excavator certificates
- Competitive Salary
- Company Pension
- Further development/education provided
- Playing courtesy of the golf course
- Uniform and PPE
- Discounts on Food, Beverages and Golf Shop purchases
The Addington Golf Club is a heathland course built in 1913 by JF Abercromby and HS Colt. Over several decades since 1950, the course became overgrown and lost much of its character. Greens’ sizes shrank by over 30%, fairways narrowed, treelines became overgrown and heather receded.
We purchased the club in 2006 and after several years of ownership, are now investing significant sums of money to return it to its former glory, as one of the top courses in the world.
In 2019, the club appointed golf architects Clayton, DeVries and Pont (CDP). Working with CDP, we are now restoring the golf course back to its original design. This involves tree removal, fairway widening, green enlargements, heather regeneration and bunker rebuilding, among other things.
Last year, we upgraded our greens and surrounds’ sprinkler system, and installed full fairway irrigation using Rainbird products. Last autumn, we installed a world-class practice facility and are now commencing our heather regeneration programme.
This year, we will continue to invest in our machinery fleet, start the first phase of our bunker restoration programme and build on our staffing numbers and structure. We plan to update our greenkeeping compound in the next two to three years.
Kerr Rowan, our newly appointed Course Manager will be starting with us full time on 30.5.22. In the meantime, to apply, please forward your covering letter and C.V. to the General Manager: [email protected]