Deputy Course Manager
Crowborough Beacon Golf Club is one of the top golf courses in South East England and it is often listed as a course in the Top 100 golf courses of England.
The Par 71 heathland course is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the High Weald adjoining Ashdown Forest. It provides a challenging test for all levels of golfer and is often used by Sussex CGU for County events. It has recently been used by England Golf as a Championship Venue for two National events. This is a great opportunity for an experienced and progressive Deputy Course Manager or ambitious Greenkeeper to join the team in continuing to raise the standards of our golf course. Reporting to the Course Manager, you will be a key member of the Green Management Team.
To be successful, you will:
- have a proven track record of presenting a Golf Course to a very high standard.
- be an experienced and progressive greenkeeper.
- have the drive and ambition to further improve CBGC and deliver the best possible golf experience for the club’s members, guests and visitors.
- be highly motivated and have the ability to work on your own initiative.
- be a passionate individual with a keen eye for detail, presentation and aesthetics.
- be able to motivate the team in the Course Manager’s absence.
- demonstrate excellent communication skills in a predominantly hands on role.
- be prepared to complete tasks and projects in all weathers.
- need to reside or be able to relocate to Crowborough or within reasonable travelling distance.
Main duties / Key responsibilities
- Assist the Course Manager in managing the golf course and the greenkeeping team, as directed by the Chairman of Green, in accordance with the Club’s golf course maintenance policy, the Health and Safety policy and the Greenkeeper Code of Conduct
- Carry out effective turf maintenance practices through the establishment of schedules and programmes of annual, monthly, weekly and daily maintenance, which maximise the efficiency of work on the golf course
- Prepare the course for play including marking hazards and GURs and ensuring tee markers, bunkers, golf furniture and general green maintenance is carried out.
- Carry out and maintain heather restoration programmes
- Manage and maintain the environs of the Clubhouse
- Support the Course Manager in allocating workloads effectively.
- Assist in the development & maintenance of course drainage
- Have a good working knowledge of irrigation and irrigation systems including PC based systems
- Assist in the planning and execution of small scale course improvement projects e.g. bunker reconstruction/renovation, tee reconstruction
- Ensure that machinery is maintained and prepared effectively
- Exhibit excellent practical skills and technical knowledge relating to machinery
- Ensure that all faults and defects relating to the condition of the course, equipment, tools, buildings, etc. within the remit of grounds maintenance are reported to the Course Manager
- Ensure that you work within the bounds of all Club health and safety policies
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills - applicants must be able to delegate and prioritise work schedules in the Course Manager’s absence.
- Utilise IT programs when necessary.
- Communicate effectively with all members, guests and visitors, as well as the general public.
- Be aware of and keep up to date on best practices on environmental issues
- A highly motivated, passionate individual with a keen eye for detail, presentation and aesthetics
- Original thinker and ability to work on own initiative
- Clear communicator at all levels of the Golf Club
- A team motivator
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks competently
- Offer a high degree of adaptability
- A desire for personal development and development of colleagues
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of NVQ level 3, foundation degree or Undergraduate Degree
- Experienced user of a wide range of modern machinery
- Wide working experience of all golf course tasks
- Experience of managing staff
- Experience of working with external contractors
- A member of BIGGA or GMA
- Active participant in CPD.
- Conversant with Health & Safety, LOLER, PUWER, Risk and COSHH assessments
- A full driving licence
- Being an active golfer would be an advantage
- Minimum 5-10 years’ greenkeeping experience
- Appreciation of the agronomy of a fast running heathland golf course
- Relevant FEPA Certificates of Competence
- Salary will be competitive and based on the applicant’s experience
- Job Type: Full-time
How to apply
- Interested applicants should send details of suitability for the role and CV by email to: email@example.com
- Closing date – 27th October 2021
- No recruitment agencies please