The Addington is a heathland course built in 1913 by JF Abercromby and HS Colt. Over several decades since 1950, the course became overgrown and lost much of its character. Greens’ sizes shrank by over 30%, fairways narrowed, treelines became overgrown and heather receded.
We purchased the club in 2006 and after several years of ownership, are now investing significant sums of money to return it to its former glory, as one of the top courses in the world.
In 2019, the club appointed golf architects Clayton, DeVries and Pont (CDP). Working with CDP, we are now restoring the golf course back to its original design. This involves tree removal, fairway widening, green enlargements, heather regeneration and bunker rebuilding, among other things.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious, dedicated and professional Course Manager to lead our greenkeeping department and manage the golf course as we enter the next stage of our renovation plans. This year, we upgraded our greens’ and surrounds’ sprinkler system, and installed full fairway irrigation using Rainbird products. This autumn, we installed a world-class practice facility and are now commencing our heather regeneration programme.
Next year, we will continue to invest in our machinery fleet, start the first phase of our bunker restoration programme and build on our staffing numbers and structure. We plan to update our greenkeeping compound in the next two to three years.
The successful applicant should have the drive, ability and leadership skills to manage these projects, whilst maintaining the course to the highest standards for our members and guests.
Applicants should have the following attributes:
- Holding all relevant professional and technical qualifications that would be expected with this role.
- Able to make decisions driven by data.
- Golf course management experience, either in a Deputy, Head Greenkeeper or Course Manager role.
- Skilled in creating and working to a budget.
- Excellent understanding of agronomy.
- Excellent course presentation skills.
- Construction and project management experience.
- Full understanding of and ability to operate a state-of-the-art irrigation system.
- Able to manage a machinery fleet.
- Competent in the relevant IT skills.
- Management skills regarding health and safety on the golf course
Remuneration will be based on skill level, qualification and experience. Accommodation can be made available if required.
To Apply: please forward your covering letter and C.V. to Ryan@AddingtonGolf.com
Job description can be provided for the role.
Closing Date: 31st December 2021